Park Tower

800 North Michigan, Chicago, IL

Image Gallery
Floor Plans
Current Availability
Historical Data

Designed by renowned Chicago based, French Born iconic architect, Lucien Lagrange, The Park Hyatt and Park Tower Private Residences is located at the North East corner of N. Michigan Ave and Chicago Ave.

Completed in 2000, the 67 Story, 844 foot, art deco, cream colored limestone clad tower is at the core of the Magnificent Mile. The Property is situated across a quaint street from the Historic Water Tower predating the "Great Chicago Fire" of 1870. The 5 star, 203 room, Park Hyatt Hotel occupies the first 20 stories of Park Tower. The Remaining 47 floors are dedicated to 117 Luxury residences with the top 8 floors consisting of full floor, 8,600 Square feet single family homes with 12" ceilings. The Residents of the Tower condominiums may take advantage of a full compliment of the Park Hyatt hotel's services and amenities.

The architecture of the Park Tower is verticality emphasized in the main elements of the building facade. Mr. Lagrange's vision is arranged as a large composition of alternating courses of tinted windows set into warm gray *spandrel panels and exterior structural columns clad in Buff limestone. Corners are softened by symmetrical courses of curving recessed balconies.

The Tower is topped by an auspicious copper *mansard roof.
"The Pitched Copper roof has both ornamental and functional attributes. Its contrasting form and color enhance the project's identity, but within it is a 300-ton tuned mass damper, a structural device that serves to reduce the horizontal movement associated with lateral wind loads."

Additional elements include over 90,000 square feet of enclosed parking and 19,000 square feet of retail space including the likes of Giorgio Armani. A portion of the retail space resides in the landmark, 1917 built, 3 story brick facade of the former Perkins Fellows & Hamilton Studios to the north.

Developed by Related Midwest in partnership with Hyatt Corporation, the condominium development portion cost more than $250 million.


*Spandrel - (less often spandril or splaundrel) is the space between two arches or between an arch and a rectangular enclosure. The roughly triangular area above and on either side of an arch, bounded by a line running horizontally through the apex of the arch, a line rising vertically from the springing of the arch, and the curved extrados, or top of the arch.

*A Mansard or Mansard roof in architecture refers to a style of hip roof characterized by two slopes on each of its four sides with the lower slope being much steeper, almost a vertical wall, while the upper slope, usually not visible from the ground, is pitched at the minimum needed to shed water. This form makes maximum use of the interior space of the attic and is considered a practical form for adding a story to an existing building. Often the decorative potential of the Mansard is exploited through the use of convex or concave curvature and with elaborate dormer window surrounds.

It was popularized in France by the architect Francois Mansart (1598 - 1666). His treatment of high roof stories gave rise to the term "Mansard roof" (toiture A la Mansarde). Sections of the Louvre, such as the central portico of the Richelieu Wing, display this style of roof.

At a time when French houses were taxed by the number of floors below the roof, this feature had the added benefit of exempting the upper floor from taxation. A revival of the Mansard occurred in the 1850s rebuilding of Paris. The style of that era in France is called Second Empire. Second Empire style mansard roof in a county jail in Mount Gilead, Ohio.

Under the influence of the Neo-baroque revival of the French Second Empire (1850 - 1870), the mansard became a common feature in many later 19th-century buildings in Europe and North America. Another revival of the style occurred in the United States and Canada during the late 1800s as one of any number of expressive forms adopted by Victorian architects. This style of roof became very popular in Back Bay, Boston, during the 1870s. In the Second Empire style, the Mansard roof was typically used to top a tower element, rather than across the full width of the building.

In congested sites in cities, a mansard enabled builders to keep a decently low cornice line, while incorporating a couple of extra stories within the apparent roof. Mansards may be seen on New York City's former Grand Central Hotel (1869).